SMITHSONIAN EXHIBITION | Crossroads
Rural Utah at a Crossroads | 2023-2024 Utah tour of the Smithsonian exhibition CROSSROADS: CHANGE IN RURAL AMERICA
CROSSROADS: CHANGE IN RURAL AMERICA is a traveling exhibition from the Smithsonian Institution's Museum on Main Street program that provokes fresh thinking and sparks conversations about the future and sustainability of rural communities. At a time when much of rural Utah is reinventing itself, Crossroads offers a chance to look at our own paths over the past century – to highlight changes that affected our fortunes, explore how we've adapted, and think about what's next. This project is presented by Utah Humanities and its statewide partners.
Learn more about Rural Utah at a Crossroads in this fascinating essay, catch the latest rural crossroads story at Utah's Beehive Archive, or look for local events in our online calendar. We hope you join us!
For more information about the Utah tour, please contact Megan van Frank at Utah Humanities | vanfrank @ utahhumanities.org
#UtahRuralCrossroads #IdeasInAction #RuralCrossroads
Rural Utah at a Crossroads, Spanish Fork, photography by Trevor Christensen.
Every rural person and place has a story. Change is part of that story.
Utah Humanities is touring Crossroads to eight Utah communities from September 2023 to December 2024. Community organizations will partner with us to host the exhibition and connect their local stories through companion exhibits and programming. Check out the schedule to learn how you can participate!
COMING TO A TOWN NEAR YOU!
- September 16 to October 28, 2023 | North Summit Unite with Summit County History Department at the Ledges Event Center, 202 Park Road, Coalville, UT 84017 | COALVILLE ACTIVITIES
- November 4, 2023 to January 12, 2024 | Wasatch County Library, 465 E 1200 S, Heber City, UT 84032 | HEBER CITY ACTIVITIES
- January 20 to March 3, 2024 | Utah State University Eastern, Student Center, 498 N 300 E, Price UT 84501
- March 9 to April 28, 2024 | Silver Reef Museum, 1903 Wells Fargo Drive, Leeds, UT 84746
- May 4 to June 22, 2024 | Brigham City Museum of Art & History, 24 N 300 W, Brigham City, UT 84302
- June 29 to August 18, 2024 | John Wesley Powell River History Museum, 1765 Main Street, Green River, UT 84525
- August 24 to October 12, 2024 | MT Hurst Foundation with Utah State University Blanding, Health, Library, Science Building, 576 W 200 S, Blanding, UT 84511
- October 19 to December 15, 2024 | Granary Arts, 86 N Main Street, with Snow College Library, 141 E Center Street, Ephraim, UT 84627
Join Us Please!
- Dig into Rural Utah at a Crossroads, a fascinating essay written especially for the Crossroads exhibition tour of Utah!
- Find rural Utah stories on our Utah Stories from the Beehive Archive website, or listen where you find podcasts
- Join the conversation using #UtahRuralCrossroads and #RuralCrossroads
Books, Films, and Resources for Educators
- Rural Utah at a Crossroads | Utah Museum of Fine Arts Exhibition Activity Guide
- Rural Utah at a Crossroads | Utah Museum of Fine Arts Exhibition Teacher Guide
- Rural Utah at a Crossroads | Reading List for Scholarly, Memoir, Poetry, Fiction, and Youth
- Smithsonian Crossroads Reading Lists for Adults, and Young Adults & Children
- Smithsonian Crossroads Film & TV List
- Smithsonian Crossroads Docent Handbook
- Smithsonian Crossroads Education Partners & Lesson Plans
- Smithsonian Crossroads Exhibition Script & Spanish Translation
Explore Rural Utah!
- The 2020 U.S. Census report on urban versus rural population shifts.
- Utah 2020 Census: University of Utah's Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute provides demographic expertise on the latest census as data pertains to Utah.
- "Utah Takes Another Evolutionary Leap," Natalie Gochnour, Deseret News, April 24, 2023
- “Rural grocery stores are dying. Here's how some small towns are trying to save them,” a compelling NPR feature, April 19, 2023
- Utah State University's county-level agriculture profile factsheets (2005).
- The Utah Department of Health & Human Services’ annual rural Utah photo contest.
- The “American West” digital exhibition by the Salt Lake County Archives documents the county’s recent agricultural past using archival material and photographs compared to the same urban locations today.
- Follow the Money: A Spatial History of In-Lieu Programs for Western Federal Lands
- Fruits of their Labors: Oral history and photographic material about individuals who owned or worked in orchards in Utah Valley.
- Mapping Literary Utah is a database of authors and writers from across Utah, easily searchable by specific rural Utah regions or even genres.
- Mining the West: digital exhibit from U of U Marriott Library and Utah Museum of Fine Arts.
- Native Places: An Indigenous Atlas of Utah and the Intermountain West is a digital humanities project that records Indigenous names for Utah’s major waterways and landforms.
- “Population 800” is a photography series by Christine Armbruster documenting rural communities across Utah.
- Utah State University’s Rural Rangeland Archive documents changes in Utah’s rangeland over time using historic materials.
- The Utah Historical Society's Rural Utah Curated Collection of photos and manuscripts.
- Check out Visit Utah’s video series “The Voices of Bears Ears”
- Utah poet laureate Paisley Rekdal’s digital poetry collection, “West: A Translation,” inspired by the history of Chinese labor on the transcontinental railroad.
- The Western Music & Cowboy Poetry gathering, usually held annually in Heber Valley.
- Rural Utah at a Crossroads, an essay written especially for the Utah tour!
- Crossroads 2023-2024 Tour of Utah Brochure
- Salt Lake Tribune | Crossroads: Change in Rural America - A Thought-Provoking Exhibition of our History, our Perseverance, and our Future
- November 4, 2023 | Smithsonian Crossroads Exhibition Moves to Heber City!
- September 16, 2023 | Utah Grand Opening of Crossroads Exhibition in Coalville
- September 14-15, 2023 | Crossroads Installation & Training Workshop
- October 9, 2023, Utah Public Radio | Crossroads: Change in Rural America - A Thought-Provoking Exhibition of our History, our Perseverance, and our Future
- October 5, 2023, Salt Lake Tribune | Utah's rural places showcased in Smithsonian national traveling exhibit
- September 28, 2023, KPCW Radio | Smithsonian's Museum on Main Street brings "Crossroads: Change in Rural America" exhibit to Summit County
- September 16, 2023, KSL TV5 | Smithsonian traveling exhibit highlights change in Utah's rural areas
- September 14, 2023, KPCW Radio | Upcoming Coalville Smithsonian exhibit showcases North Summit student projects
- September 3, 2023. Park Record | Smithsonian traveling exhibit starts in Coalville
- August 3, 2023, PBS Utah | Contact with Mary Dixon: Utah Humanities' Museum on Main Street
- July 2, 2023, Park Record | Park City Film heats up summer screenings: Some lead up to a Smithsonian exhibit
Crossroads: Change in Rural America is made possible in Utah by Utah Humanities. Crossroads is part of Museum on Main Street, a collaboration between the Smithsonian Institution and State Humanities Councils nationwide. Support for Museum on Main Street has been provided by the United States Congress.
The Utah tour of Crossroads: Change in Rural America is presented by Utah Humanities in partnership with local exhibition hosts: North Summit Unite with Summit County, Wasatch County Library, Utah State University Eastern, Silver Reef Museum, Brigham City Museum of Art & History, John Wesley Powell River History Museum, MT Hurst Foundation with Utah State University Blanding, and Granary Arts with Snow College Library.
Many thanks to our vital partners and generous funders for their support of Crossroads: Change in Rural America.